Applying for a Visa
To determine what visa you need, please visit the Department of Immigration and Border Protection ‘Find a visa’ website.
Advice from the Australian Government for the best possible chance of obtaining a visa is:
- Determine which visa you should apply for. All workshop participants will require a visa applicable to a business event. The exact visa subclass will depend on what country you are coming from, how long you are staying, etc.
- Apply for your visa at least six weeks before your intended date of travel to Australia (or two weeks if you are from an ETA or eVisitor eligible country) as visa processing times may vary.
- Consider Australia’s health and character requirements, which you will have to meet as part of the visa application process.
- If you are not eligible to apply for an eVisitor visa or ETA, ensure you obtain a confirmation of your registration, or a letter of invitation, to attach to your Visitor Subclass 600 visa application.
- Lodge paper-based visa applications at the Australian visa office nearest to your current country of residence.
More information on visas for business events can be found on the following two documents:
- Business Events Information Sheet – July 2015
- Visa Application Requirements Information Sheet – July 2015 – Business Events
If you need a letter of invitation to apply for a visa, please request one by emailing the IGNSS Local Organising Committee on email@example.com
International and Domestic Flights
Sydney is serviced by Kingsford Smith Airport, which is the main international and domestic airport and Australia's largest airport hub. It is located in the suburb of Mascot, about 10 kilometres (6 miles) from both Coogee Beach and the city centre.
All major international airlines have routes to Australia via Sydney and Australia has numerous domestic carriers offering both business and budget travel, connecting all major Australian cities and regional centres to Sydney. These include:
For more information on Sydney Kingsford Smith Airport (SYD), visit www.sydneyairport.com.au
Travel from Sydney Kingsford Smith (SYD) Airport
Taxis provide the most direct route from the airport to the conference venue at UNSW. Taxis are available from the taxi rank which is located directly in front of the terminal.
A taxi from the airport precinct to UNSW will take approximately 20 – 30 minutes and cost approximately $AUD30 – $AUD45, depending on traffic and the time of travel. All Australian taxis operating in capital cities accept credit cards (Visa, MasterCard and American Express).
The domestic and international terminals are both serviced by the Sydney Trains system which provides efficient connections to the city centre. Services run approximately every 10 minutes and take about 13 minutes to reach the city. Travelling to the conference venue from a train station will require either a bus or taxi connection. Express buses to UNSW are available from Central Station at Eddy Avenue.
For further information on the service that the Airport Link provides, please see the following website: www.airportlink.com.au
Coogee Beach is serviced by a number of bus routes that travel to and from the city centre (routes 372, 373, 374 and M50).
Travel from the airport requires a transfer from the city (using one of the routes above) or by taking route 400 (from the airport to Bondi Junction) and changing at the Eastgardens Shopping Centre to route 353 (between 7:00 AM and 7:00 PM only), or changing to the M50, 372 or 373 in Randwick.
Bus services are generally moving to a pre-paid ticketing system and will require the purchase of an appropriate ticket prior to boarding the bus. We recommend that you visit the information site below for assistance in planning your trip and determining which ticket you should purchase.
For more information on Sydney’s Public Transport Systems and travel planning, visit www.131500.com.au